Last updated on January 1st, 2019
Jan 1, 2019 – updated for 2019
Jan 11th, 2018 – updated for 2018
Nov 17th, 2017 – added new microdermabrasion machine models
Jan 3rd, 2017 – updated for 2017
Nov 14th, 2016 – added Handheld microdermabrasion units and under $100 selection
Nov 11th, 2016– removed old models, updated prices
Mar 17th, 2016 – updated Rejuvaderm and Kendal prices
Feb 9th, 2015 – Kendal has a new model; updated info and links
Feb 8th, 2015 – updated microdermabrasion machine reviews
Feb 7th, 2015 – added information about cleaning diamond tips
Microdermabrasion at home
Your face is the first thing people see. According to research, it takes only 7 seconds to leave a strong first impression. And although I like the idea of taking people as they are, and not judge books by their cover, I also like to have a healthy beautiful skin. It helps me smile, boosts my confidence, and gives me one less thing to worry about.
I’m sure you already know that you can do microdermabrasion in the comfort of your home. If you pick the right equipment then I confirm to you that it’s also effective and safe.
Before we pick the best microdermabrasion machine for you, let’s look at some of the benefits of having your own microdermabrasion system.
Why you should consider having your own microdermabrasion machine
- The biggest benefit of performing microdermabrasion at home is definitely the cost. A good home microdermabrasion system will pay for itself in as little as one or two uses. Just compare the price of a home microdermabrasion machine with a treatment at your local beauty clinic.
- You will also save a lot of time as there is no longer need to drive to the other side of the town or sit in the waiting room at the spa or clinic.
How to pick the best microdermabrasion machine? Check out the comparison tables and reviews below.
After trying several professional and “at home” machines, and talking to our fellow dermatologists, we’ve compiled a comparison table and written reviews of the top machines available today. The units are a bit different in features so pick one that’s suitable for you.
Best microdermabrasion machines comparison table
In the table below you’ll find the “top of the shelf” systems for a serious home user.
My current favorite is the Kendal. It has helped me a lot with getting rid of acne and acne scars. It’s also helped me to win back my confidence in the job market as well as everyday social settings (I didn’t feel very confident dating).
|Image||Unit Name and Model||Price||Rating||Reviews|
Kendal HB-SF01 Professional Diamond Microdermabrasion Machine (new model)
NEW SPA HOME Diamond Microdermabrasion Portable Machine and Skin Care Kit
|Kendal HB-SF02 Professional Diamond Microdermabrasion Machine||$199.98||7.9/10||87|
|Kendal 3 in 1 Professional Diamond Microdermabrasion machine||$279.00||7.8/10||29|
Nu Brilliance Microdermabrasion Skin Care System
Microdermabrasion machine reviews
What follows are the reviews of each machine in the table above, along with pros, cons and some usage tips for each. We hope it makes it easier for you to pick the right machine.
Rating: 8.6 / 10
$299.00 $199.00 Check price >
For a smooth, rejuvenated and vibrant skin, this machine can be used with ease in the comfort of your home.
The process: after exfoliation using the sterile diamond heads, this microdermabrasion machine vacuums out the dirt particles and the dead skin.
Included in the package: It comes with 2 dermabrasion skin handles, 9PC Diamond tips; 3 large, 3 medium and 3 small, each category with a fine, medium and coarse tip, 360 cotton filters (240 small and 120 large), an air hose for the Diamond filter and a power cable.
This Kendal unit comes with a 1-year warranty.
- Microdermabrasion procedure is non-surgical, so there are no side-effects. Kendal uses sterile diamond heads to exfoliate the layer of dead skin cells followed by vacuuming off the dirt particles and dead skin.
- This unit is crystal-free, reducing the risk of ingestion and getting into the eyes. This makes a great benefit against machines with the micro-crystal flow.
- Its suction power is strong enough to remove all the dirt particles and the dead skin cells from your skin without causing injury to it. This thus means that this microdermabrasion machine can be used closer to the eyes and mouth as there is no risk of ingestion, inhalation or the particles getting into the eyes.
- Very easy to maintain and clean. Kendal comes with 360 cotton filters, each one for single use. The Diamond tips can be cleaned easily with a soft toothbrush and some hot water.
- Its Diamond tips are very small and can be lost easily. They are so small that they can even be flushed down a sink. So be careful when cleaning.
- It measures 16.9 by 12.2 by 16.3 Inches and weighs 9 Pounds. Nothing too big for home use but you wouldn’t take it with you in a purse.
This microdermabrasion kit is suitable for all skin types. We’ve seen it most helpful with relief from acne, black spots and white spots, age spots, issues with pigmentation and uneven skin tone, rough skin and dry skin. It has also proven to work in getting rid of the fine lines, wrinkles, and superficial scars.
It also helps to bring back the glow and vibrancy of your skin as well as put a smile on your face. I am a big fan of this Kendal unit and, in my opinion, this is the best microdermabrasion machine available on the market today.
Rating: 8.4 / 10
$189.00 Check price >
The kit includes one microdermabrasion unit, a set of 2 wands and 9 diamond tips, a silicone hose, 18 and 12 mm filters, replacement “O” rings, cosmetic headband, sulphate-free facial cleaner, after-treatment DMAE serum and a user manual.
- Good suction power (up to 16 inHg vacuum suction)
- Professional grade machine – some dermatologists use it in their beauty salon
- This thing is amazing on blackheads and whiteheads
- Helps to lessen/remove superficial scars
- Great for tightening pores (no more gaping holes on my face, in fact, they are hardly noticeable now)
- Makes skin less oily (I have changed from using a mattifying lotion to an actual light moisturizer)
- Smoothens and softens skin (also, now my face has a youthful color to it)
- I love the case it comes with. Makes it portable and easy to take with you.
- The tips wear out after some use and need to be replaced.
- Doesn’t come with a thorough instruction booklet. Go to this link to get your instruction manual: http://new-spa.us/microdermabrasionguides
Extra usage tips:
- Make sure you wash and exfoliate your skin before using any of the diamond tips. Get what you can off your skin with a gentle scrub and it’ll make microdermabrasion more effective.
- Make sure you follow the manual on how and where to use the different diamond tips. The tips come in different levels of coarseness; make sure you use the correct one so you don’t end up scratching or bruising your skin.
- Also don’t just crank up the vacuum to the highest setting from the get-go. This unit is quiet but it doesn’t mean it’s not working. It’s got quite powerful suction so be careful not to bruise your face.
Rating: 7.9 / 10
$219.00 Check price >
- Built for professionals: dermatologists, aestheticians
- Great suction power (27+ inHg)
- Rejuvenation of sun damaged skin – face, neck, shoulders, back, arms, and legs
- Reduction of age spots
- Minimization of blotchy skin coloring
- Reduction of acne and superficial scars from past injury
- Extraction of blackheads and whiteheads
- Reduction of oily skin
- Improvement of overall skin health –you will have a healthy, shiny, and beautiful skin.
- Would like more thorough instructions
- Diamond heads can be difficult to clean
More usage tips:
- I recommend using skin moisturizer with sun block after treatment because the exfoliation leaves the skin dry and “scratched” up.
- It works best in conjunction with Alpha-hydroxy peels and Retin-A. However, cease the use of peels and Retin-A at least 5 days before your next microdermabrasion treatment.
- If this is your first time with microdermabrasion, wait a couple of weeks before your next treatment. I was concerned about some of the reviews who said they were using it every 3 or 4 days.
- For best results, use sweeping motions. Avoid leaving the suction tip in one place for too long to avoid abrasions and redness.
Rating: 7.8 / 10
$279.00 Check price >
- Three functions: diamond microdermabrasion, massage function, skin scrubber function
- Some people claim it works better than their big $4,000 machine
- No detailed user guide
Rating: 6.6 / 10
$249.00 Check price >
- Many people have problems with suction
- Warranty only 30 days
- Not a great custom service
Best Handheld microdermabrasion units
These are the more portable units you can take with you to treat yourself and your skin on the go.
I have both, an at-home-machine and a handheld unit. I used to use the portable one a lot but now I don’t need it so much because I’m happy with how my skin looks. It’s still good to have one when I’m away from home.
|Image||Unit Name and Model||Price||Rating||Reviews|
|#1 Bestseller in Handheld|
PMD Personal Microderm System, White
Pro Diamond Microdermabrasion Handheld DermaBraze MD system
|NuBrilliance Handheld Diamond Microdermabrasion and Pore Cleansing System||$119.00||3.3||18|
|Pulsaderm ReNu Diamond Microderm System At-Home Kit with Serum||$139.00||3.7||13|
LittleBlack Microderm Diamond Personal Microdermabrasion System
$199.00 $116.99 Check price >
This microdermabrasion kit works well as an anti-aging skin care treatment kit, exfoliation kit, and pore extraction kit and is a great replacement to the numerous scrubs and comes really close to a professional microdermabrasion treatment that you’ve probably experienced at a dermatologist or a spa clinic.
Rejuvaderm system is crystal free and has shown a noticeable effect in reducing wrinkles, fine lines, blackheads, sunburned skin, liver spots and age spots. It also helps with enlarged pores and congested pores.
What we like about Rejuvaderm MD:
- It’s more than just a microdermabrasion machine. Rejuvaderm MD is a three-in-one kit that helps rejuvenate your skin in the following ways:
- Exfoliation – peel the top wrinkly layers of skin with a diamond tip (medical grade, crystal-free) and bring out the fresh rejuvenated skin that lies underneath.
- Extraction – use the suction to remove dirt, oil, and sebum from your pores. Rejuvaderm MD comes with a four-level suction motor so you can adjust the strength to your needs (it is advisable to start with the lowest strength and move up as needed).
- Infusion – you’ll see faster and better effects from your regular skin care products as the softened skin enables for better absorption.
- Relatively easy maintenance – replace filter after each use (it comes with a bag of filters) and clean the diamond tip every three months. I especially like Rejuvaderm because I don’t have to worry about replacing stuff often.
- No need to use more than twice a week. Usually, once a week is enough.
- Trophy Skin is a reputable company known for good customer service. They emailed me after purchase and asked how happy am I with the device. We haven’t needed the customer service but it’s good to know that they are there when you need them.
- Take it with you. Rejuvaderm is small – comparable to an electric toothbrush –, lightweight (6.4 oz) and silent, unlike the other brands I’ve tried.
What they could do better:
- A cleaning tool for the Diamond head is not included with the purchase of this product. It is recommended to use an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner to clean the diamond tips every 3-6 months depending on the amount of usage. Here’s a jewelry cleaner that is inexpensive (
$99.99$29.99) and many of our readers recommend.
All-in-all it’s a great device, and our number two recommendation at the moment. It has shown to work greatly in removing blackheads and acne for a lot of users. You’ll witness a noticeable difference in the size of your enlarged pores or congested pores in just one week. Even more, your skin will glow more and feel much softer and smoother.
Rejuvaderm MD comes with a well-written user manual that will guide you step by step through the process of microdermabrasion at home.
Home microdermabrasion units under $100
If you’re not ready to commit $150, $200 or $300 then you can check out these cheaper units. We haven’t tested these ourselves so make sure you read the customer reviews and do your research before buying.
Microdermabrasion Case Studies
Stories from us, our friends and our readers. Let’s have a closer look at how microdermabrasion has worked for certain conditions, which clinic or machine was effective, and how did we go about the whole procedure.
Does microdermabrasion help with acne?
I’ve been struggling with moderate acne since 9th grade. At first, I was prescribed with some acne pills which I’ve forgotten what they were called. Interestingly, the pills actually worked, but about 4 months later my acne reappeared.
I guess the acne developed an immunity to the drug and returned just as strong as before.
Then over the next two to three years I battled with my acne in various different ways. I don’t even remember all the treatments I tried.
I think the first time I came across microdermabrasion was by total chance. My mom had gifted me a beauty spa visit and when I went there I got to choose between all these treatments.
I went with microdermabrasion and although the first treatment didn’t get rid of my acne, it made my skin feel much better and fresh. So I decided to go back like two weeks later. Then once more 2 weeks later for another treatment.
It was after the third treatment that I started noticing an improvement with my acne. I wanted to keep taking the treatments but, to be honest, it was starting to get a bit too pricey for me. I paid $90 per one session at the time.
So I looked around for cheaper clinics and that’s when I found out that you can also do microdermabrasion at home. I totally stumbled upon it by accident and thought I’d give it a try.
At first, I thought the machine must cost thousands of dollars, so I was pleasantly surprised to find out that I can get one for a few hundred.
I asked around and did a bit of research myself and decided to go with the Kendal unit. At first, I gave myself a treatment about once every 3-4 days. After like 7 or 8 treatments, 80% of my acne had disappeared. I was really happy with the results so I kept doing the treatments once a week, on weekends, until my acne disappeared almost totally.
I now use it only once about every two weeks and my skin looks amazing.
I’ve heard that microdermabrasion doesn’t work for everybody but it worked for me and I think it’s definitely worth the try.
The microdermabrasion machine that Helen used:
Kendal HB-SF01 microdermabrasion machine
More information about Microdermabrasion at home and in general
Benefits of microdermabrasion
Microdermabrasion is a procedure that has been used by many celebrities for so long to enhance their beauty instead of more invasive methods such as plastic surgery, Botox injections, and chemical peels. It is actually the perfect instant face-lift. This procedure is all about the removal of the layer of dead skin cells and in turn revealing the underlying young and healthy skin.
- Promotes the production of new skin cells
- Encourages the production of collagen and elastin, the two determinants of elasticity of the skin. This thus improves the appearance of the skin without going through an intensive procedure such as dermabrasion.
- Helps soften fine lines, wrinkles and also smoothes rough skin – characteristics associated with aging skin. Microdermabrasion is a great anti-aging strategy.
- Works even better in getting rid of acne, black spots, white spots, age spots, uneven skin tones, sunburn spots, superficial scars, dry skin and stretch marks.
- Refines enlarged pores and opens up clogged pores.
Cost of microdermabrasion
Depending on the expertise of the person performing this procedure, the location of the office or spa, the amount of skin on which the procedure is to be carried out, the amount of time and effort put into the whole process and many other factors, the cost of microdermabrasion may vary greatly from spa to spa and from one person to another.
It costs approximately between $75 and $300 for a single microdermabrasion session. In a salon or spa, it mostly ranges from $75 to $200 while in medical offices and dermatology clinics, it is more expensive and can fall anywhere between $100 and $300.
Microdermabrasion can also be performed in the comfort of your home. It costs between $15 and $200 to get the microdermabrasion kit and you’ll be ready to enjoy the beauty benefits of your investment.
Frequently Asked Questions about Microdermabrasion
- What is microdermabrasion?
The beauty of the skin is usually judged by its suppleness and outlook, a thing that can never be achieved with tons of dead skin cells piling on its surface.
Well, thanks to this non-invasive and non-surgical cosmetic procedure by the name microdermabrasion, you can easily get rid of the outermost layer of dead skin cells also known as Stratum corneum by simply exfoliating it mechanically.
Microdermabrasion involves the use of an exfoliating material in the form of crystals known as Corundum or diamond flakes and a suction machine that lifts up the skin during exfoliation. The use of exfoliating scrubs may also be categorized under microdermabrasion.
You can find a more thorough overview of microdermabrasion on MedicineNet.
- Is microdermabrasion safe?
Yes, microdermabrasion is a safe cosmetic procedure. Unlike more invasive procedures such as plastic surgery, Botox injections, chemical peels and laser resurfacing that may present side effects, microdermabrasion focuses on the outermost layer of the skin thus no chemicals will get into the body easily. In the case of ingestion, the Condurum is non-toxic and it is also not associated with Cancer or contact reactions thus safe to use on skin. Though it is not a traumatic procedure, it is advisable to seek permission from your dermatologist before performing this procedure.
- Does microdermabrasion hurt?
This procedure is not painful at all. Only the dead skin cells are peeled off your skin and inhaled by the vacuum which could lead to a rough feeling on the skin and a little discomfort during the procedure. You may experience redness of the skin immediately after microdermabrasion but this is not to worry about as it can be easily covered with cosmetics. You should make sure to use moisturizer and sunscreen after this for a well-moisturized skin and protection from the effects of the sun.
- How often should you do microdermabrasion?
Since this procedure does not present side effects, the ultimate choice depends on you. Depending on the condition of your skin, your budget, and the desired results, it can be performed weekly for even up to 8 weeks. Though, this should be done in moderation to give the skin enough time to rejuvenate.